packet loss

Gian Piero Carrubba gpiero at rm-rf.it
Wed May 21 07:40:56 CEST 2014

* [Tue, May 20, 2014 at 01:24:41PM +0200] folkert:
>Something strange is happening at my place: I have lots of packet loss
>in my tinc vpn.
>
>Network layout:
>
> laptop --- wifi --- other pc
>
>ping from laptop to other pc OUTSIDE tinc: 0% packet loss
>ping from laptop to other pc VIA tinc: 50% packet loss
>
>What could be the cause of that?

If you can exclude simple external reasons (i.e. packet filtering rules
per interfaces or routing issues), you can try putting tinc in "verbose"
mode (SIGINT on POSIX for tinc 1.0.x). Starting with a minimal conf
always helps in these cases. Also, posting platforms and versions (both
of OSs and tinc) could help someone switching on the light bulb.

Ciao,
Gian Piero.