ConnectTo Wildcard

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Wed May 14 18:47:09 CEST 2014

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 06:20:38PM +0200, Sven-Haegar Koch wrote:

> > And AutoConnect limits the number of meta connections, sounds like something
> > different to me.
>
> You can set it to a very high value, if it is bigger than your number of
> nodes then it means to try to connect to all of them.

In the next prerelease you cannot set the number anymore, AutoConnect
will be a boolean value, either it's on or it's off. If on, tinc will
try to keep at least 3 meta-connections. Simulations have told me that
that gives a very nice graph.

> In our network (220+ nodes) when we have them all connect to more than
> 5-6 central nodes they create so much metadata traffic at connect
> exchanging all the link infos that they overload the dsl-upstream of
> some slower sites that those slower sites timeout, disconnect,
> reconnect, and create even more metadata traffic, repeat...

This problem can surely be avoided somehow. But that's for after an
1.1.0 release.