ConnectTo Wildcard

Sven-Haegar Koch haegar at sdinet.de
Wed May 14 18:20:38 CEST 2014

On Wed, 14 May 2014, Ralph J.Mayer wrote:

> > You don't have to ConnectTo all hosts in order to have a working VPN.
> > That said, the tinc 1.1 prereleases have a new option called AutoConnect
> > that is essentially doing what you want.
>
> But you still have to have at least one ConnectTo variable, right?

No, you don't.

> And AutoConnect limits the number of meta connections, sounds like something
> different to me.

You can set it to a very high value, if it is bigger than your number of
nodes then it means to try to connect to all of them.

Note that if you ConnectTo to too many nodes your metadata-traffic on a
node connect increases very much.

In our network (220+ nodes) when we have them all connect to more than
5-6 central nodes they create so much metadata traffic at connect
exchanging all the link infos that they overload the dsl-upstream of
some slower sites that those slower sites timeout, disconnect,
reconnect, and create even more metadata traffic, repeat...

> My goal is to have a static .conf file and change the peers just by the
> content of the hosts directory. This would be very helpful for massdeployment.

c'ya
sven-haegar

--
Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead.
- Ben F.