VPN stablility problems

Nick Hibma nick at anywi.com
Tue May 6 13:44:04 CEST 2014

Larry,

Why would it be a tinc issue, if no one else chimes in to report the same problems?

A few more suggestions to help you drill down:

- You have not specified the router’s brand. Is it a cheapo thing that was provided with your Internet connection (like mine: a Fritz.Box with a lousy DNS cache for one)?

- Does the router properly handle long running connections like remote logins? Do a remote desktop connection to another machine on your LAN and see whether that is still around after 2 days. I bet it isn’t.

- You have not specified the router’s brand. Is it a cheapo thing that was provided with your Internet connection (like mine: a Fritz.Box with a lousy DNS cache for one)?

- Have you considered the switches in the path? I have seen weird stuff caused by switches going haywire once in a while and dropping almost all the traffic.

- If you are doing long running TCP connections over a tunnel that is running on TCP for some reason, your connection could at some point get stalled because of MTU problems. Example: If your client is behind a NAT and normally downloads stuff, but occasionally uploads large amounts, you could stall that connection easily if the MTU on the client is too high (it sends a packet that is too large, but does not get notified because of NAT dropping the ICMP packet).

- Why would three different versions of Windows behave different with respect to networking? May I point at a printer spooler locking a document and refusing to delete it, which has been a pain since Windows 95 right through to Windows 7 and perhaps later?

- The fact that none of the tunnelling solutions work sufficiently for you points at your setup.

- Have you run tinc in debug mode, or switched it to debug mode when it stop tunnelling? Guus must be unavailable as he would ask you to do that to figure out what’s going on.

The simplest solution is usually the right one. Write down your assumptions and prove them wrong. If you fail you are probably right.

Nick Hibma
AnyWi Technologies