VPN stablility problems

Larry Smith lsmith999999 at hotmail.com
Tue May 6 13:22:53 CEST 2014

Hi Cédric/Nick,

Thanks for the feedback. My network is actually as simple as they come. The
problem exists even on two machines running on the same physical LAN (in my
house). My router is set up to forward port 655 to one machine on that LAN,
and to another port on a second machine. Even in that environment however
the connection goes down sometimes. Both those machines are also connected
to a remote machine which has the same issue but no more frequently than the
machines in my house. I could try debugging things further as you suggested
(Nick: I will look into all your suggestions - thanks), but since it's
already the simplest set up possible, it should work out-of-the-box (and
does normally except for this occasional instability). Since it's affecting
three machines all running different versions of Windows (again, two in my
house and one remotely), on the surface it seems unlikely to be a Windows
problem (why would three different versions of the OS all have the same
issue). It's therefore (likely) either a hardware issue or a "tinc" issue.
My hardware is normally very stable however so I suspect it's a "tinc" issue
(the most likely culprit at this point anyway). I'll try to debug it further
to see if I can verify that but I wouldn't think it would (normally) be
necessary to check or change any default settings for this to work (let
alone any exotic settings).  Thanks again.

Regards,

Larry