Tips punching through tight firewalls

Cobin Bluth cbluth at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 00:00:33 CEST 2014

I run a few public-facing tinc nodes, on one of which I use sslh/nginx/tinc
on port 443.

Sslh is a demultiplexing daemon that interprets the network traffic and
determines if it's HTTPS/ssl or ssh/openvpn/tinc. Bind sslh to port 443 and
if it sees HTTPS traffic, then it forwards to nginx. If it sees tinc
traffic, it forwards to tinc.

Essentially it hides tinc behind an https server, and as long as you can
access https websites on foreign networks, then you can probably access
your vpn. Works for me very well!

-Sent Mobile