tinc started from /etc/network/interfaces and not from /etc/tinc/nets.boot

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Thu Jan 9 22:00:25 CET 2014

On Thu, Jan 09, 2014 at 03:26:58PM +0100, Phooraalai wrote:

> are there reasons why all the examples for debian and ubuntu explain how
> to setup tinc to start from the init job /etc/init.d/tinc and
> /etc/tinc/nets.boot and why there are no examples or tutorials on howto
> start tinc from /etc/network/interfaces ?

I guess because the init job was there first. Support for
/etc/network/interfaces came later.

> Using /etc/network/interfaces I have a perfectly running tinc vpn with
> an unprivileged user, locked memory and a chroot jail plus converted
> tinc-up and tinc-down scripts.

Why did you use converted tinc-up/down scripts at all? You can put everything
that is in those inside /etc/network/interfaces.

> Question: If I have machines A,B and C in my tinc vpn and if I then add
> machine D and only have the host file /etc/tinc/VPN/hosts/D on machine C
> and /etc/tinc/VPN/hosts/C on machine D, will D be still able to talk to
> machines A and B ?

Yes.

> Is this what the host options StrictSubnets = yes and
> TunnelServer = yes are about ?

Those options those can indeed be used to limit which nodes can talk to which
other nodes. There is also IndirectData, DirectData and Forwarding.