tinc started from /etc/network/interfaces and not from /etc/tinc/nets.boot

Phooraalai phooraalai at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 9 15:26:58 CET 2014

Hello,

are there reasons why all the examples for debian and ubuntu explain how
to setup tinc to start from the init job /etc/init.d/tinc and
/etc/tinc/nets.boot and why there are no examples or tutorials on howto
start tinc from /etc/network/interfaces ?

Using /etc/network/interfaces I have a perfectly running tinc vpn with
an unprivileged user, locked memory and a chroot jail plus converted
tinc-up and tinc-down scripts.

>From my /etc/network/interfaces:
auto VPN
iface VPN inet static
	address 192.168.100.1
	netmask 255.255.255.0
	post-up /etc/tinc/VPN/vpn_tinc-up
	post-down /etc/tinc/VPN/vpn_tinc-down
	TINC_NET VPN
	TINC_CHROOT yes
	TINC_MLOCK yes
	TINC_USER tincvpn

Question: If I have machines A,B and C in my tinc vpn and if I then add
machine D and only have the host file /etc/tinc/VPN/hosts/D on machine C
and /etc/tinc/VPN/hosts/C on machine D, will D be still able to talk to
machines A and B ? Is this what the host options StrictSubnets = yes and
TunnelServer = yes are about ?

BR
P.