Subnet specification for tinc node as default gateway

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Mon Sep 2 00:59:56 CEST 2013

On Mon, Sep 02, 2013 at 12:43:53AM +0200, Etienne Dechamps wrote:

> (As a side note, this is something I find very confusing: some
> configuration options in an host file (like Address, Port) are used
> by other nodes and some others seem to be only used by the node
> itself. There are even more confusing cases, like the IndirectData
> option, or the interaction between Subnet and StrictSubnets. This
> makes it harder to know the effect a specific change will have. I
> would think that, ideally, all configuration options that are only
> used locally should be in tinc.conf, not in the node file, but
> that's a pretty big change from the current shape of things.)

I agree it is not always intuitive. Also, since tinc 1.0.14 you can put any
option from tinc.conf in your own host config file and vice versa. I don't know
if that makes it more intuitive or not.

The rationale behind the recommended way (which is the distinction made in the
documentation) is that every option that should be or will be known by all other
nodes is put in the host config file, the rest goes into tinc.conf.