Making available a subnet using a device behind nat router

Lance Fredrickson lancethepants at gmail.com
Sat Oct 5 23:42:49 CEST 2013

I run tinc on a series of routers running 3rd party firmware (tomato).
Since tinc is running on the gateway device, its routing table is aware
of the mesh vpn.  At each endpoint, any device one subnet can access any
device on another subnet.
I now have the situation where I need to make a new endpoint and entire
subnet available on the mesh. In this situation I have a device running
tinc that is behind nat, so it is not the gateway device.  Currently I
can access the single machine, but I don't have access to the entire
subnet.
i've enable ip forwarding on the device running tinc by editing
/etc/sysctl.conf.  I suppose I need to add some sort of rule to the
router/gateway device to know where to send requests bound for the mesh,
but I'm not sure how to do this.

thanks,
Lance