send_meta() called with NULL pointer!

Chris Maciejewski chris at wima.co.uk
Wed Mar 27 07:50:45 CET 2013

Hi,

I am running tinc (1.0.19) on a cluster of around 40 servers (Xen
virtual machines in two geographical locations). Overall it works very
well, however yesterday it crashed on two machines in odd way. I was
still able to ping VPN IPs of other hosts from the two affected
machines but "vpn" interface was not visible when I run ifconfig.
There was also no "tincd" process running (at least ps aux wasn't
showing it). They logged the following for approx. 20 minutes in the
/var/log/syslog:

Mar 27 01:52:14 us16 tinc.vpn[9528]: Flushing meta data to <peer_host>
(xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx port 655) failed: Connection reset by peer

and eventually:

Mar 27 01:53:03 us16 tinc.vpn[9528]: send_meta() called with NULL pointer!

Any suggestions what could be the reason for this crash and if
upgrading to the latest 1.0.20 might prevent it happening in the
future very much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Chris