tinc 1.1pre4 on Win7x64 --mlock prevents service from starting

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Mon Jan 14 22:46:37 CET 2013

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 12:15:24PM -0600, Rob Townley wrote:

> i usually import a tincd.reg file with the --debug and --mlock and
> --log parameters.  When tinc.myvpn is started from services.msc or sc
> start tinc.myvpn, the only error is the windows error that tinc could
> not be started.  Nothing in EventLog either.

Ah ok, I see. It should of course write something into the EventLog.

> The frustrating thing at the moment is that using tincctl.exe stop not
> only stops the service but deletes the service from the registry.  It
> recreates it when tincctl.exe start is called, but it prevents
> production use.  Is there a way to make it so that the service is not
> deleted when stopped?  And when init, it checks if the service exists
> and timeout confirms that you want to overwrite the old service entry?

What is the problem with the stop and start commands removing/adding the
service from the registry? That is exactly what tinc 1.0.x does as well. You
can stop/start the service without altering the registry from the service
control panel, I believe.

Tincctl init never starts or stops a daemon, so it will also not change an
existing service entry. The tincctl start command (or invoking tincd directly)
will also never overwrite an existing entry.