tinc 1.1pre4 on Win7x64 --mlock prevents service from starting

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 19:15:24 CET 2013

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 4:30 AM, Guus Sliepen <guus at tinc-vpn.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 05:06:57PM -0600, Rob Townley wrote:
>
>> c:\APPS\TINC\tincd.exe --mlock --net=mynet --config=C:\APPS\tinc\mynet
>>
>> Without --mlock, the service starts OK.
>> With --mlock, the service fails to start.
>
> It should print this error message:
>
> mlockall() not supported on this platform
>
> Does it not show you that error message? Perhaps the error message should
> mention you cannot use the "--mlock" option on Windows. In any case, I'll make
> note in the manual that this option is not supported on all platforms.
>
> --
> Met vriendelijke groet / with kind regards,
>      Guus Sliepen <guus at tinc-vpn.org>

i usually import a tincd.reg file with the --debug and --mlock and
--log parameters.  When tinc.myvpn is started from services.msc or sc
start tinc.myvpn, the only error is the windows error that tinc could
not be started.  Nothing in EventLog either.

However, i did just try tincctl.exe --mlock --net=myvpn start and yes,
that does indeed show the error message.

The frustrating thing at the moment is that using tincctl.exe stop not
only stops the service but deletes the service from the registry.  It
recreates it when tincctl.exe start is called, but it prevents
production use.  Is there a way to make it so that the service is not
deleted when stopped?  And when init, it checks if the service exists
and timeout confirms that you want to overwrite the old service entry?