graphviz

Nick Hibma nick at anywi.com
Fri Dec 27 14:06:13 CET 2013

> I think json would then be the best way to go: then people can create
> e.g. a python script which gives ansi-color output on the console. And
> also a php-script showing it in html would be very easy.
> Maybe some kind of full-screen interface which constantly updates
> showing the current state. Maybe via streaming json (does that even
> exist?).

Let’s remember that not everyone wants a singing-and-dancing-Linux-boot-up-screen with colours and full screen animations. I run tincd / tincctl on remote systems with access over a serial console. My terminal is usually set badly because of that, so colour output is of no use and screws up my screen. It bloats the executable.

The output tincctl produces all the output that is needed, and can be rearranged by a Perl script to your liking. Or have it dump json if you like, to make it fully parseable.

UNIX provides a toolbox approach, not an application approach.

Nick