default gate via tinc

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Fri Nov 30 09:06:38 CET 2012

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 12:10:01AM +0100, albi wrote:

> Am 29.11.2012 21:31, schrieb Guus Sliepen:
> > As I already said, the way to indicate a preference is to give the Subnets
> > different weights. See the description of the Subnet variable in the manual.
>
> Ah thanks.
>
> Question to that. Are smaller subnets prefered over larger subnets? Like
> normal routing?
> What happens when lager subnet has weight 9 or less?

Smaller Subnets are always preferred over larger Subnets. The weight only comes
into play if they are otherwise identical.

> > You cannot change the preference locally, this is a limitation in tinc's
> > protocol when using router mode. But as Narcissus Emi already mentioned, you
> > can also solve the problem using switch mode.
>
> Even when I use StrictSubnets?

Yes. At first you might not think so, but the problem is that when the packet
is sent to the next node, that one checks its own routing table to see where
the packet should go. So unless that node also uses StrictSubnets with the same
weights as the first node, it will not work.

> Or when I route directly to a ip as default gate?

Gateway routes only work in switch mode.