Macbook DHCP issue.

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Wed Nov 28 10:11:08 CET 2012

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 10:23:00PM -0700, Matthew Tolle wrote:

> Tinc on the remote side has always been set to switch mode. I've tried it in many different forms on the laptop side. It's currently set to hub mode.

You should keep it set to switch mode. Mixing different modes in one VPN is
usually not a good idea.

> I can rerun the debug for you in switch mode if you need that. From what I read it should be the same.

It probably won't make a difference in this case, that is true.

> I don't run or have access to the DHCP server on the remote side, but I'm fairly sure it has not changed. The laptop gets it's IP address just fine when it's local to the site.

Tinc itself does seem to run fine, and it is receiving and sending packets
from/to remote. So I don't think the problem is with tinc itself. You could run
tcpdump on the VPN interface to see what kind of packets are exchanged. Also
check that the firewall configuration of laptop and/or remote have not been
changed. Also, perhaps the DHCP server is out of addresses? Note that the tap
devices get a new MAC address every time they are created (at boot, or on Linux
everytime you restart tinc).