Query node status

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Tue Dec 4 09:17:40 CET 2012

On Tue, Dec 04, 2012 at 09:53:47AM +1100, Andrew Cowie wrote:

> > To filter you should
> > check the fifth bit of the status field.
>
> Is there any reason this can't be made human readable? I mean, printing
> out the bitfield is fine for debugging if you're someone who knows the
> code, but for people just trying to use the software,
>
> 	... options c status 0018 ...
>
> has never really been that helpful. Always wondered what it meant. It
> would be terrific to know whether it meant nodes were reachable?
> Bi-directional connection? Actually handling traffic right now?

In tinc 1.1, if you want human readable information you can use the "tincctl
info" command. The result is something like this:

[root at foo]~>tincctl info bar
Node:         bar
Address:      192.0.43.10 port 655
Online since: 2012-12-03 09:03:36
Protocol:     17.0
Reachability: directly with UDP
PMTU:         1459
Edges:        baz foo quux
Subnets:      10.0.0.42/32 fec0:0:0:0:0:0:0:42/128

And to see real-time traffic statistics, use "tincctl top":

[root at foo]~>tincctl top
Tinc                   Nodes:    4  Sort: name        Current

Node                IN pkts   IN bytes   OUT pkts  OUT bytes
bar                      15        998         48      63216
baz                       0          0          0          0
foo                      48      63216         15        998
quux                      0          0          0          0

> > I'll try to improve the tincctl command to make it easier to get a list of only
> > online nodes. That is the most frequent use case in my experience,

With the latest version of the 1.1 branch from git, you can now do:

tincctl dump reachable nodes

> right after "am I connected to the mesh yet?"

That is not a well-defined question. Better questions are: "is node X
reachable" or "are there more than N nodes reachable". But now you can get the
answer with the command mentioned above and grep or wc.