tinc detects itself on the VPN due to intermittent connection problems, and dies

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Fri Jul 15 23:19:03 CEST 2011

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 04:06:59PM -0500, Xaquseg wrote:

> A relatively recent update (1-2 months) has introduced a fairly major
> issue where connection issues seem to cause tinc to decide that there's
> another node of the same name on the VPN, leading to it quitting.
>
> It seems that it's detecting itself somehow, through an older
> connection, perhaps? The daemon stopping itself is a major problem,
> though, as it has to be manually restarted.

That is indeed undesirable. Could you send me the log output from tinc when
that happened, and also the log output after doing "tincd -n <netname> -kUSR2"?
That would help me find out what is causing the incorrect behaviour.

> I would report this on the bug tracker, but I'm unable to find a link to
> one on the website.

There is no bugtracker, reporting it here on the mailing list is the correct
thing to do.