tinc optimal packet route selection

heroxbd at gmail.com heroxbd at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 12:20:45 CET 2010

Dear Guys and Girls,

I have two group of tinc nodes, say A and B. The network quality between
A and B is unstable.

I am wondering what algorithm tinc is using for delivering and relaying
packets. How does one tinc node decide which the "next hop" is when its
destination can not be reached directly or too slow to reach directly?

The real situation is like this, nodes in group A and B are suffering
from the bad network speed. Then suddenly there is a new node, say X,
coming up having big bandwidth to either A or B. How can A and B figure
out relaying to X is far better than transfering directly? X could be
temporary, and it is not cool to cut off the direct connection between A
and B in order to make them use X as next hop. It is even less cool to
copy big files A <-> X <-> B by hand.

It is more like a routing protocol thing. But I am not familiar with
it. I was considering employing OSPF inside my tinc network while I
found it really mind boggling for a tinc switch VPN.

Hints and ideas are really appreciated.

Yours,
--
XU Benda