tinc vpn does not work beacues of isp

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Tue Mar 2 11:29:32 CET 2010

On Tue, Mar 02, 2010 at 08:43:51AM +0100, Albi Rebmann wrote:

> I use German umts internet (O2) sometimes. Now I tried to start a tinc
> tunnel, but it just does not work. I told that to my isp, they answered me
> that they use some sort of NAT anmd PAT. I get a internal ip 10.x.y.z when
> I get online. Normally this should be no problem with tinc, but until now
> I just get no packets through the tunnel.
> tinc connects to my tinc server in internet and receives some subnet
> informations. But tinc says it does not receive any ptmu information from
> other tinc server.
> Is there anything I can do to check what is possible?
> I already tried tcponly.

If you run a recent version of tinc, you do not need to use the TCPOnly and
IndirectData options anymore, tinc will automatically fall back to TCP and/or
indirect communication if direct communication via UDP is not possible. If tinc
logs that a connection with the other side is activated, and you still cannot
reach the other side, then check:

- whether you have a firewall on either side blocking packets on the VPN,
- whether the 10.x.y.z range from O2 conflicts with your VPN address range.

If those things are not the problem, then run tinc with -d5, try to ping the
other side, and email the log output.