IDEA: How to change the mesh without changing config files.

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Tue Mar 2 01:18:24 CET 2010

On Tue, Mar 02, 2010 at 02:45:33AM +0300, Vladislav wrote:

> AFAIK tinc uses hosts in config file only to join the mesh. That means that
> if i,say, have 2 main 'servers' with public IPs as the main Connect-to points
> for all the 'client' nodes, and if i change those two, i need (MUST) to
> reconfigure all config files.
>
> So the question is, can this be worked around using a single DNS name with
> multiple IP addresses behind it? Try 'nslookup rbc.ru' and you'll see it
> resolves to different IPs and DNS Round Robin turns them in a circle.
[...]

There are two situations when the hypothetical main servers go offline.  Either
you want the remaining clients to connect to each other, or you want to
introduce new server nodes that the clients can connect to.  I think the first
case is better solved by tinc having an option to automatically make outgoing
connections as necessary, instead of just using the ConnectTo statements.  The
second case has the problem that the clients do not know the public key of the
new server node.