Tinc on 64-bit Vista

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Fri Mar 13 11:33:07 CET 2009

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 01:04:29PM +1100, Peter Dey wrote:

> Just thoguht I'd let you know -- Tinc works fine under 64-bit Vista!

Thanks! I already heard from another person but extra confirmation is nice.

> Obtaining a 64-bit signed TAP/TUN driver was a bit of an ordeal.  It appears
> that the OpenVPN guys have forked out the money to get the TAP-win64 driver
> signed for kernel modules.

Aha.

> I installed OpenVPN, then installed Tinc -- no problems whatsoever.
>
> The OpenVPN installer does a check to see if it's running on 32-bit or 64-bit
> windows, and picks the appropriate driver to install.

Ok, then the tinc installer should do the same I guess.

> What are the chances of packaging the 64-bit TAP drivers in Tinc's Windows
> installation package?  I've extracted them from the OpenVPN package, and placed
> them here:
>
> http://www.realmtech.net/files/tap-win64.zip

Well I can try to package them, but I don't have any 64-bit Vista machine
around to test it on. Would you be willing to test it, or if you have some
experience developing software on Windows, willing to create Windows packages
for tinc?