Address family not supported

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Tue Aug 25 17:16:58 CEST 2009

On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 01:42:13PM +0800, WindyWinter wrote:

> I tried to fix configure.in and reconf to let configure generate correct
> config.h for Windows XP, but finally i failed. So I have to edit several
> files manually. And I got weird compile errors when compiling git version
> (I'm trying to figure out what happened).

Let me know when you find out what is wrong with the git version.

> For 1.09,
>
> 1. replace "#ifdef HAVE_MINGW ... #endif" with the following one:
> #ifdef HAVE_MINGW
> #include <w32api.h>
> #define WINVER WindowsXP
> #include <windows.h>
> #include <ws2tcpip.h>
> #endif

Ok.

> 2. manually add these defines to config.h after ./configure:
> #define HAVE_FREEADDRINFO 1
> #define HAVE_GAI_STRERROR 1
> #define HAVE_GETADDRINFO 1
> #define HAVE_GETNAMEINFO 1

Hm, if you need to add that something might be wrong with the configure.in
checks, because if you changed have.h, it should find the definitions for
getaddrinfo() in Windows' header files...

> Hopefully this brutish way is not only a specialty on my computer but also
> works for someone else.

:)

> It seems that the program halted at the initialize part because it produced
> the same RTE while running with no parameters at all.

Ok, maybe the call to WSAStartup() in tincd.c should be changed as well...

> Building IPv4 over IPv6 tunnels will help many Chinese students get cheaper,
> faster and more reliable Internet connections. But now finding a VPN
> solution on Windows platform becomes the problem. I've contacted developers
> of OpenVPN and it seems that they have no interests on supporting IPv6. I'm
> not that skilled to accomplish it by myself. So I'm counting on you. Thank
> you.

I won't make any promises, but since full IPv6 support is a feature in tinc,
the fact that it doesn't currently work on Windows is a bug, so we will try to
fix that.