Address family not supported

Ivo Smits Ivo at UFO-Net.nl
Sun Aug 23 12:56:19 CEST 2009

As a worst case solution, you could probably use some kind of ipv4-ipv6 port redirection and use only TCP connections. Windows netsh has built in support for this kind of port forwarding and on linux it can be accomplished by using xinetd or rinetd.

tinc (client) -> internal ipv4 connection (client) -> ipv4 to ipv6 redirection (client) -> internet ipv6 connection -> ipv6 to ipv4 redirection (server) -> internal ipv4 connection (server) -> tinc (server)

Definately not the best solution...

--
Ivo
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: WindyWinter
  To: Guus Sliepen ; WindyWinter ; tinc op tinc-vpn.org
  Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2009 7:45 AM
  Subject: Re: Address family not supported

  On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 1:42 PM, WindyWinter <bslgh1 op gmail.com> wrote:

    Thanks a lot.

    I tried to fix configure.in and reconf to let configure generate correct config.h for Windows XP, but finally i failed. So I have to edit several files manually. And I got weird compile errors when compiling git version (I'm trying to figure out what happened).

    For 1.09,

    1. replace "#ifdef HAVE_MINGW ... #endif" with the following one:

  Oh, sorry, I mean replace "#ifdef HAVE_MINGW ... #endif" in have.h with the following one.

    #ifdef HAVE_MINGW
    #include <w32api.h>
    #define WINVER WindowsXP
    #include <windows.h>
    #include <ws2tcpip.h>
    #endif

    2. manually add these defines to config.h after ./configure:
    #define HAVE_FREEADDRINFO 1
    #define HAVE_GAI_STRERROR 1
    #define HAVE_GETADDRINFO 1
    #define HAVE_GETNAMEINFO 1

    Hopefully this brutish way is not only a specialty on my computer but also works for someone else.

    It seems that the program halted at the initialize part because it produced the same RTE while running with no parameters at all.

    Building IPv4 over IPv6 tunnels will help many Chinese students get cheaper, faster and more reliable Internet connections. But now finding a VPN solution on Windows platform becomes the problem. I've contacted developers of OpenVPN and it seems that they have no interests on supporting IPv6. I'm not that skilled to accomplish it by myself. So I'm counting on you. Thank you.

    ----------
    Soli Deo gloria,
    yours WindyWinter
    and http://www.briefdream.com

    On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 4:50 AM, Guus Sliepen <guus op tinc-vpn.org> wrote:

      On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 01:52:37AM +0800, WindyWinter wrote:

      > Well, finally I got it compiled, with several defines, changing from
      > winsock2.h to ws2tcpip.h and msys... But when I try to run the binary, I got
      > a RTE. It's the same to segmentation fault, but I'm not able to provide the
      > exact error message in English because I'm running a Chinese version
      > Windows.

      Aha. Did you compile 1.0.9 or the latest version from git? In any case, if you
      send me the changes you made, you save me some work and I can try to reproduce
      the run-time exceptions, and see what further needs to be changed to get it to
      run properly with tunnels over IPv6.

      > Will it be better for me to wait till October?
      > It's most likely that this happened when I try to run OpenVPN with a udp6
      > patch.

      You have to decide yourself what is best for you.

          Guus Sliepen <guus op tinc-vpn.org>