Address family not supported

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Sat Aug 22 15:12:45 CEST 2009

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 01:52:16PM +0800, WindyWinter wrote:

>    I'm setting up a VPN over IPv6, attempting to build an IPv4-over-IPv6
> tunnel, but when I try to connect to the server, I got this: System call
> `getaddrinfo' failed: Address family not supported.
>    Client runs WindowsXP, and I did almost exactly the same as
> http://www.tinc-vpn.org/examples/windows-install . Here is the configuration
> files:
[...]
> Address = 2001:da8:d800:790:218:f3ff:fe2e:52e3  //no matter I change this to what, it returns the same error.
[...]
>    Does anyone knows what caused this? Thanks.

After checking, I'm afraid the tincd.exe from the installer has been compiled
with a stub getaddrinfo() function that only does IPv4 lookups.  This is
because Windows 2000 did not have a getaddrinfo() function, and you have to add
a #define to the source code to enable this function on WindowsXP, making the
binaries backwards incompatible with Win2k.

So, it is probably an easy fix, but I do not have time at the moment to create
a new version.  Unless somebody else wants to try to fix this, you will have to
wait until the end of September.