Tinc for gaming

Russell Handorf rhandorf at handorf.org
Sun Nov 5 01:10:05 CET 2006

I have the same thing set up- because of how certain games use the 'lan
lobby', it only broadcasts on the local subnets. IE, if your IP subnet
is 192.168.1.0/24 and your friends is 192.168.2.0/24, then there are two
separate 'lan lobby' broadcasts that are going to occur. You either have to:

1. Setup a IPTABLES firewall to mangle the packets and rebroadcast
2. Write a program to forward these broadcasts into the other subnets
3. Use the 'direct connect' feature in most games, where you enter the
hosts IP address

We use options 3.

Russell Handorf

The information transmitted is intended only for the person(s) or entity
privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination, or
is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender
and delete the material from any computer.