Tinc and multi-netname setting on single machines with 1 ethernet card

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Thu Feb 16 23:02:33 CET 2006

On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 12:03:40PM -0500, Lonnie Cumberland wrote:

> I have been reading over the Tinc manual and have become very interested
> in the "4.2 Multiple Networks" section of the manual.
>
> In particular, I am wondering if I read this correctly in that by using:
>
> `-n, --net=netname'
>   Use configuration for net netname.
>
> then I can have multiple daemons running on the same machine.

Yes.

> If I have 3 machines A, B, and C with A being my multiple tinc daemon
> machine with connections being (A and C on netname1) and (A and B
> netname2) then would I presume that traffic from C would only be see at
> A and traffice from B would also only be seen at A,

Correct so far.

> but however traffic coming from A would be sent off to both netname1
> and netname2 networks thus allowing B and C to see traffic coming from
> A, right?

No. When you are running two daemon on A, you will have two virtual
network interfaces. When you generate network traffic from A, it will go
either via netname1's interface or netname2's interface, depending on
whether the traffic was intended for B or for C. As far as tinc is
concerned, you have two completely separate VPNs, one with A and B in it
(netname2), and one with A and C in it (netname1). Traffic in one VPN
will not be visible in the other VPN.

    Guus Sliepen <guus at sliepen.eu.org>