What latency should i expect

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Mon Mar 28 16:12:40 CEST 2005

On Sun, Mar 27, 2005 at 12:10:11AM +0000, jadz at toybox.fyremoon.net wrote:

> My next question for tonight is what network latency should we expect over
> the tinc vpn.
>
> Currently I'm seeing around 200ms latency via ping, regardless of
> pinging a vpn host which is actually over the Internet, several hops of
> reality away, or if I'm pinging a box which is across the local switch.
>
> A ping of 200ms when the traffic is going over the Internet, i could
> believe.  But 200ms when the other end of the link is a few feet away, i
> don't like so much.  Pinging the box across the switch directly (not via
> the vpn) gets response times of 0-1ms, as you'd expect.
>
> Now when i do ping directly the hosts which are seperated by a bit of
> Internet, they are all on fairly fast links and the direct ping latency is
> 4-5ms, where as the tinc vpn latency is 200ms.

The latency you should expect from tinc is the latency of the network
itself plus the overhead of encryption and authentication in userspace.
The overhead that imposes depends on how fast the computers are on which
tinc runs and what the CPU load is on those computers. The overhead from
tinc I see on i686 computers running at ~200 MHz is 5 ms.

But there might be other factors influencing latency, although 200 ms on
a local network does not sound good to me. Could you show me all your
config files and the output of the ping command?

    Guus Sliepen <guus at sliepen.eu.org>