DNS resolution crash

jadz at toybox.fyremoon.net jadz at toybox.fyremoon.net
Sun Mar 27 00:23:09 CET 2005

Guys,

I have two problems for today, so two mails.

The first is a DNS resolution issue which results in a seg fault.

One bit of log:

Mar 26 21:49:34 Box tinc.vpn[1292]: Error looking up anotherbox.cjb.net
port 1234: hostname nor servname provided, or not known
Mar 26 21:49:34 Box tinc.vpn[1292]: Got fatal signal 11 (Segmentation
fault)
Mar 26 21:49:34 Box tinc.vpn[1292]: Trying to re-execute in 5 seconds...

Now the reason for the DNS resolution failure is the connection to the
Internet is down, so there are no DNS servers to resolve against.  So
currently the log fills rather quickly with this error.

Some details:

Tinc version is 1.0.3
Host system is FreeBSD 5.3

Running a fairly standard setup of tinc i think appart from maybe one
quirk.  In my host files, each host to be connected to has two Address
lines.  One address line is an IP, one is a DNS.  The machines move around
a fair bit, so sometimes they can use a non-routed IP for a direct
connection, and sometimes not as they are remote from each other.

One example host file:

[root at box]$ cat anotherbox
Subnet = 10.0.5.0/24
Address = anotherbox.cjb.net