Painfully slow under windows

Hansong Huang net at pine.maillshell.com
Sun Aug 28 06:30:46 CEST 2005

I did some testing on the speed. found tinc under windows is paintfully slow, particularly, it is paintfully slow to transfer anything from the windows machine. here is my setting. I have two windows xp in local network 100MB. use ftp to test speed. without tinc, the speed is about 5MB/sec. but through the vpn interface, speed is about only 10-20KB/sec.

the next test, I installed VMWare 5.0 on both windows, and installed SUSE linux 9.3 within VMware.  from the linux, downloading from another windows (non-vpn interface) is about 3MB/sec, from another linux (within the vmware in another windows xp) the speed is about 1.3MB/sec.  BUT downloading from another windows's vpn interface is very slow about 10-20KB/sec.
therefore, the problem much be the tinc windows daemon or driver.

the same happens to both machines, and the speed results are very consistant. So my question is : Is the windows daemon or driver so much slower? or I did something wrong?