Address Variabme for Roadwarriors]

Guus Sliepen guus at sliepen.eu.org
Mon Oct 25 00:39:07 CEST 2004

On Sun, Oct 24, 2004 at 05:08:39PM -0500, Lonnie Cumberland wrote:

> What I will like to do is to give all of the uses, including
> roadwarriors, a static IP address on the 10.x.x.x address net and have a
> name in our VPN DNS associated with each one. This lead to the next problem.
>
> Is there a way that the TinC project can come up with a new variable
> possibly called "VPNDNS=" or something like that such that the
> roadwarriors hosts files can use it to resolve the "ADDRESS=" variable.

I don't know what you want exactly. Is VPNDNS the address of the DNS
server that tincd should use to resolve the Address? In that case, just
put that in /etc/resolv.conf. Is it the address of the DNS server that
your system should use after connecting to the VPN? In that case you can
use a host-up script[1] to modify /etc/resolv.conf after connecting to the
VPN. Or do you mean something else?

Anyway, the tinc daemon itself doesn't really care or know about DNS
servers. It just transports network packets.

[1] http://www.tinc-vpn.org/documentation/tinc_4.html#SEC45

    Guus Sliepen <guus at sliepen.eu.org>