Address Variabme for Roadwarriors

Guus Sliepen guus at sliepen.eu.org
Sun Oct 24 22:52:30 CEST 2004

On Sun, Oct 24, 2004 at 03:28:54PM -0500, Lonnie Cumberland wrote:

> I was just looking over how to set up the hosts files for Tinc and was
> wondering about how to handle Roadwarriors?
>
> It appears that the variable "Address="  must be set for individuals to
> connect to a host, right?

The manpage says:

Address = address [recommended]
     The IP address or hostname of this tinc daemon on the real net‐
     work.  This wil only be used when trying to make an outgoing con‐
     nection to this tinc daemon.  Multiple Address variables can be
     specified, in which case each address will be tried until a work‐
     ing connection has been established.

Note that you can put a hostname there (so you can use dyndns) and that
the Address is only used for outgoing connections, so a roadwarrior that
does not expect a ConnectTo pointing to him doesn't need an Address to
be set for himself.

> Also, I am wondering about possibly using a private DNS+DHCP server
> combination that would allow the 10.x.x.x users to have their VPN ip
> resolved but this does not help regarding "Real" IP addresses on the
> Internet for the Roadwarriors.

Setting up a DNS zone for your private addresses is not a problem at
all. If you want to run DHCP on the VPN, then you need to run tinc in
switch mode. But if you can assign static VPN addresses just as well,
I'd avoid DHCP.

    Guus Sliepen <guus at sliepen.eu.org>