user-mode tinc?

Guus Sliepen guus at sliepen.eu.org
Wed Oct 20 18:13:00 CEST 2004

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 11:00:09AM -0500, David Nicol wrote:

> Is anyone working on a completely user-mode tinc?  My
> situation is that I have administrative control over part of
> my network but I also have nodes that live in virtual machines
> and in simple user accounts where I can create TCP
> connections and high-port listening sockets all I please, but I don't
> have access beyond that, and I would like to
> run a user-mode tinc daemon in those accounts to
> access a tinc VPN.

If you do a checkout of the latest version of tinc from the Subversion
repository, you can do this (you also need the latest autotools):

autoreconf -f -s -i
./configure <any configure options you want to give>
cd src
ln -sf uml/device.c .
cd ..
make

Then you have a version of tinc that can interface directly with a
user mode Linux kernel. In tinc.conf, put something like:

Device = /tmp/umlsocket

First start tinc, then start the UML:

linux eth0=daemon,,unix,/tmp/umlsocket <other options>

Now you have an eth0 interface in your UML, which you can configure like
you would normally do from tinc-up. This way you don't need root access
for tinc (although you have to configure tinc to run on a port >= 1024
instead of the default 655).

Is this what you want?

    Guus Sliepen <guus at sliepen.eu.org>