Performance problems on solaris x86

Jason jason+tinclist at truedesign.com
Mon May 17 18:11:23 CEST 2004

On Mon, 17 May 2004, Martin Andersson wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I've successfully installed tinc on Solaris 8 x86. Everything seem to
> work ok except for one thing, I get 5kb/s transfer rates over a 100mbit
> TP connection. Is this a known problem or have I made some mistakes?
>
> My setup is really simple:
>
> anna(Win XP - Tinc 1.0.2 using the Win32-TAP driver) <=> LAN <=> sara
> (Solaris 8 x86 - Tinc 1.0.2 using the TUN/TAP 1.1 driver, OpenSSL
> 0.9.7d)

I would blame the slowness on the windows side.  tinc on windows has been
known to be slow.  I've seen some improvements running the latest
development win32-tap driver (as opposed to the one that ships with the tinc
windows package) but its still nowhere near the speed and (low) latency of
tinc running on *nix.