Install the tinc with OpenSSL

Guus Sliepen guus at sliepen.eu.org
Wed Sep 3 13:48:14 CEST 2003

On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 02:47:55AM -0700, Brian Costello wrote:

[...]
> locatable by the dynamic linker.  Remove all of the libcrypto.so
> symlinks EXCEPT for the one in /usr/local/ssl/lib.  DO NOT delete the
> libcrypto.so.* files, just libcrypto.so.  This will keep your old
> libcrypto shared libs around so executables linked against it (like
> openssh) will continue to work.  You can also delete the libssl.so
> files, and the lib{crypto,ssl}.a static libs.
>
> Next, make sure that /usr/include/openssl has the latest include files.
> To make sure it always does, I've made /usr/include/openssl a link to
> /usr/local/ssl/include/openssl.

I would not recommend doing any of the above. This can severly mess up
your distribution. It's best not to touch anything in /usr yourself, but
let the package manager handle that. /usr/local is where you can install
stuff you compiled yourself.

The best thing you can do is contact the people who created your
distrbution and tell them to package OpenSSL 0.9.7 and/or tinc :)

    Guus Sliepen <guus at sliepen.eu.org>