Install the tinc with OpenSSL

Brian Costello bc at preventsys.com
Wed Sep 3 11:47:55 CEST 2003

Guus / lutecia1960 (sorry, I can't read Kanji)

Most Linux distros come with OpenSSL in shared + static lib form.  To
reproduce that, you'll need to run:

./config shared

This sets your Makefiles up for the proper platform + shared libraries.
Without that, I've had OpenSSL build only a static version of the two
libs.  Not sure if that matters to Tinc's autoconf script, I'm just
reporting what worked for me.

Then make && make install

Next, add /usr/local/ssl/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf & run ldconfig.

Next, check to see if you have old shared libs on your system:

ldconfig -v | grep libcrypto

And you will see a list of all the libcryptos on your system that are
locatable by the dynamic linker.  Remove all of the libcrypto.so
symlinks EXCEPT for the one in /usr/local/ssl/lib.  DO NOT delete the
libcrypto.so.* files, just libcrypto.so.  This will keep your old
libcrypto shared libs around so executables linked against it (like
openssh) will continue to work.  You can also delete the libssl.so
files, and the lib{crypto,ssl}.a static libs.

Next, make sure that /usr/include/openssl has the latest include files.
To make sure it always does, I've made /usr/include/openssl a link to
/usr/local/ssl/include/openssl.

If you still have trouble after that, Guus' method of specifying the
location of OpenSSL will do the trick.

Enjoy tinc!

bc