configuration using dhcp

Guus Sliepen guus at sliepen.eu.org
Fri Aug 22 10:13:03 CEST 2003

On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 10:18:03PM -0400, Tom Lopolito wrote:

> How fo I configure my tinc-up and host file,(mine called remote), for a
> dhcp assgned address?
> current configuration:

> tinc-up:
>
> ifconfig $INTERFACE hw ether fe:fd:00:00:00:00

If you use tinc 1.0 or later, you can omit this ifconfig command.
However, in order to do DHCP on the VPN, you have to add something like
this to tinc-up:

dhclient $INTERFACE

> hosts/remote:
>
> address = ?????
> sunnet = 10.5.11.0/24
> RSA ket stuff here
>
> Since the hostname of the laptop isn't in the etc/hosts file with a
> static IP I can't use it and since I don't know the IP address I can't
> use that either. Is the solution to find out what the ip address is each
> time I plug into a new location and then manually enter it into the file
> or is there some other mechinism?

Just omit Address. That means your server cannot innitiate a connection
to remote, but remote can still connect to the server.

> My server does not have a tinc-up file,(do I really need it?) but the

Well unless you use some other way of configuring the virtual network
interface, yes, you need it.

> hosts/home file looks like this:
> address = 24.213.34.43
> subnet = 10.5.11.0/24

If you want to use DHCP on the VPN, you need to put tinc in switch mode,
and in that case the Subnet variables in your host configuration files
don't have any effect.

    Guus Sliepen <guus at sliepen.eu.org>