tinc vs. ipchains masquerading

Guus Sliepen guus at sliepen.warande.net
Tue Mar 5 10:47:54 CET 2002

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 10:59:26PM -0500, Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote:

> Just so that it's absolutely clear and in the mail archive and all, is it
> fair to say that tinc, as currently implemented, will *not* work through an
> ipchains based firewall?
>
> That's the impression I've gotten from the responses I've received so far,
> but I'd like to verify this authoritatively.

tinc will work through a masquerading firewall if you use the TCPOnly
option or if you pierce a hole through the firewall. If you set up a
firewall you are responsible for it though and you should know how it
affects certain network protocols. There is extensive documentation on
ipchains, please read it.

  Guus Sliepen <guus at sliepen.warande.net>