Metadata socket and net2str() error

Guus Sliepen guus at sliepen.eu.org
Mon Jul 8 19:13:11 CEST 2002

On Sun, Jul 07, 2002 at 10:40:45PM +0200, Internal Affaires wrote:

>     /etc/tinc/iwan/tinc-up:
>         #!/bin/sh
>         ifconfig tap0 hw ether fe:fd:0:0:0:0
>         ifconfig tap0 10.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.0.0
>         ifconfig tap0 -arp
>     /etc/tinc/iwan/hosts/Server: (on both machines)
>         -----BEGIN RSA PUBLIC KEY-----
>         -----END RSA PUBLIC KEY-----
>         #Address = 217.x.x.22
>         Address = 192.168.0.1
>         Subnet = 10.0.0.0/16
>
>     /etc/tinc/iwan/tinc-up:
>         #!/bin/sh
>         ifconfig tap0 hw ether fe:fd:0:0:0:0
>         ifconfig tap0 10.0.0.3 netmask 255.255.0.0
>         ifconfig tap0 -arp
>     /etc/tinc/iwan/hosts/Client: (on both machines)
>         -----BEGIN RSA PUBLIC KEY-----
>         -----END RSA PUBLIC KEY-----
>         Address = 192.168.0.9
>         Subnet = 10.0.0.0/16
>
> Problem
> -------
> Suffice it to say that I cannot ping across the vpn. Pinging the regular eth
> devices of either host works perfectly and pinging the respective local tap0
> device works fine too, but pinging across the vpn doesn't.

As Fredrik Bjork also pointed out, you are using the same Subnet for
both machines. The Subnet lines tell tinc which IP addresses belong to
which host. If you make them the same, tinc will not know to which of
the two hosts it has to send the packet.

If you have only two computers which you want to connect, then use
"Subnet = 10.0.0.1/32" for Server and "Subnet = 10.0.0.3/32" for
Client.

The segmentation faults and net2str() errors are caused by a bug in tinc
which is triggered when two hosts use exactly the same Subnet. I will
fix this shortly.

    Guus Sliepen <guus at sliepen.eu.org>