Problem withs hosts/ -files & Ethertap with 2.4.x

Lars Fredriksson lars at fredriksson.net
Mon Jan 28 20:41:12 CET 2002

Hello folks!

I have a little problem when I'm trying to set up a small VPN between two
hosts.
The problem is that when I try to sepcify an IP-adress in
/etc/tinc/netname/hosts/hostfile using Adress = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx syslog says;
Invalid variable name on line 2 while reading config file
/etc/tinc/boppen/hosts/melc

(Line 2 is the Adress = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx line, and melc is the host I'm
trying to connect to - the IP adress is correct)

I got this on both hosts, but I deleted the line on the listening host so
the problem is only left on the host that should connect ;-)

Anyone that knows what this could be? (Kernel=2.4.16, tincd=1.0pre4)

A other small question I have is; is it possible to use the "old" Ethertap
instead of the universal TUN/TAP by just compile it into the kernel and
create the /dev-files? I can't recompile tincd and I get the "File
descriptor in bad state"-error when trying to use the universal TUN/TAP.

Thanks!

Best regards, Lars Fredriksson

-----
Lars Fredriksson (mailto:lars at fredriksson.net) http://www.fredriksson.net/

Try the ericsson&nokia ringtone converter at
http://scary-spice.jpl.nu/e2nok.html

Tinc site:    http://tinc.nl.linux.org/