Tunneling public ips, proxy arp, tinc config

Ime Smits ime at isisweb.nl
Sat Aug 31 18:43:53 CEST 2002

Hi,

I have a question. I have a routeable /24 netblock including a server at a
colocation and I would like to use tincd to tunnel part of that netblock to
an internal network on another location being connected to the internet via
gateway with DSL link and a single static IP address, so I can use public
routable IP addresses on the local network.

I have tincd 1.0 pre7 installed on both the local gateway and the colocated
server and communication between the two hosts works fine. I'm having
troubles though routing packets. I am a bit dazzled about the arp and mac
stuff in tinc-up.

Should I be using a tool like proutearpd to dynamically mangle arp tables?
What exactly does the arp option to ifconfig do in the case of tinc? Or
should I be using a different tool altogether?

TIA,

Ime

Tinc site:    http://tinc.nl.linux.org/