tinc woes (connection established, possible routing issues)

Guus Sliepen guus at sliepen.eu.org
Mon Aug 19 23:00:54 CEST 2002

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 02:03:12PM -0400, Chris Martino wrote:

> I'm trying to use tinc to establish a vpn between two linux boxes.  The
> keys are shared and the connection gets established, but I can't seem to
> ping either side.  One side is strictly a server for the client to connect
> to.  It has a public IP, and the private IP subnet which it's trying to
> "share" to the client.  It's a pretty simple and straight forward setup.
> Configurations are below...
>
>                       Server Side                              Client Side
>                  /                    \                     /                \
>    Public IP          Private Subnet       Private IP
> 168.215.110.xxx --- 63.140.157.0/24 --- 63.140.157.230 ... --- 63.140.157.231 --- Client IP

Since 63.140.157.231 falls within 63.140.157.0/24, this is a slightly
complicated setup. You have two options:

a) Run a proxy arp daemon for 63.140.157.231 on the private subnet (on
   the same host as tinc runs) and add "Subnet = 63.140.157.231" to
   hosts/joel. You also need to ifconfig the tun interface properly in the
   tinc-up scripts.

b) Run tinc in bridging mode by adding "Mode = bridge" to tinc.conf.
   Create bridge devices on both sides and attach the interface of the
   private net to the tun interface.

The first solution is easier, but the second will allow you to browse
the Windows network neighbourhood from joel, and will also allow you to
run IPX applications or applications that use multicast or broadcast
packets.

    Guus Sliepen <guus at sliepen.eu.org>