Problems starting up tincd with startupscript 1.0pre2-1.i386.rpm

Guus Sliepen guus at sliepen.warande.net
Sun Jul 9 21:51:10 CEST 2000

On Sat, 8 Jul 2000, Johan Laagland wrote:

> I'm trying to set up a vpn using tinc, so I installed tinc with the
> rpm version on my firewall as a listener. Setting up the tap device is
> no problem. The file /etc/tinc/tinc.conf looks like:

>     TapDevice = /dev/tap0
>     MyVirtualIP = 192.168.2.1/24
>     Vpnmask = 255.255.255.0

Your Vpnmask is not right. The Vpnmask denotes the mask of the ENTIRE VPN
network, but the mask you supply with MyVirtualIP should be that of your
own subnet inside the entire VPN. So, if you have a tincd running at every
host in your VPN, just change /24 to /32. On the other hand, if your VPN
covers 192.168.x.x, change Vpnmask to 255.255.0.0.

> When I start the script /etc/rc.d/init.d/tinc start it says something
> about missing /etc/tinc/nets.boot file. In your documentation there's
> nothing mentioned about this file. What's it for and how is it
> configured?

The tinc init script is able to manage multiple VPN networks at the same
time. In nets.boot, the "names" of those active networks should be
put. For example "test". Then, you should move tinc.conf and the
passphrases/ directory to /etc/tinc/test/.

I hope this helps!

  Guus Sliepen <guus at sliepen.warande.net>
See also: http://tinc.nl.linux.org/
          http://www.kernelbench.org/