New Protocol

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Sat Dec 20 22:22:22 CET 2014

On Sat, Dec 20, 2014 at 03:43:03PM -0500, md at rpzdesign.com wrote:

> How confident are you in the New Protocol in 1.1Pre10?

I'll be confident when 1.1.0 is released.

> Or should I just play it safe and run the old protocol for production?

Yes, that's safer. There will be changes to the new protocol in upcoming
1.1pre versions that are not backwards compatible.

> How long do you think it will take for you to have confidence in the new
> protocol?
>
> When do you think you will gain that confidence?

I don't know.

> You should be congratulated, I did NOT have to install OpenVPN - TincVPN
> is WAY better.

Thanks :)

> Some learning curve, but still good.

If you have specific hints how the learning curve can be improved, let
us know.

> What script is called when the link between nodes goes down?
>
> What parameter is called and what environment variables are there for
> determining which link went down?  And came back up?

This is all described in the manual:

http://tinc-vpn.org/documentation-1.1/Scripts.html#Scripts

> What is the logic you use inside TincVPN to determine a link is down?

When there is no connection, either directly or indirectly, to another
node, that node is considered down.