VPN Single Daemon For LAN/WAN

md at rpzdesign.com md at rpzdesign.com
Mon Dec 15 23:29:16 CET 2014

Gus:

I guess my primary point of confusion is that the non-vpn LAN ip
addresses are duplicated in each cluster.  So within a cluster, the LAN
addresses are unique.

But when you look at 2 clusters, 2 different servers share the
10.99.0.11 address.

So that is why I created a VPN for inside the cluster on the LAN
interfaces using the private 10.0.1.xx range.  THen, I created a
separate VPN on the WAN interfaces using publicly visible IP Addresses.
 This VPN solely exists to process cross cluster traffic.

So at the end of the day, every server has a Real IP on eth0, a Private
IP on eth1, and then a TINC VPN LAN IP on 10.0.1.x and a TINC VPN WAN on
10.1.x.x.

I would love to understand how to make the next jump and get a single
TINCD to keep all of this working.

I think the key is the ifconfig and ip commands issued in tinc-up that
allow for another tunx interface to be created and given a WAN VPN ip
address

The TINC VPN LAN address was assigned in tinc-up: ifconfig $INTERFACE
10.0.1.11 netmask 255.255.255.0

md