MTU issues

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Tue Dec 10 18:28:03 CET 2013

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 05:53:50PM +0100, dorian wrote:

> Sorry for disturbing you if the issues has been discussed earlier but I
> cannot find clear explanation of my problem.
>
> Tracing the tinc logs (a debug level) I have found that the MTU value of
> the connection is determined and chosen at the beginning of the tunnel
> setup.
>
> My question is following: is the MTU value renegotiated / rechecked
> after the tunnel is established?

Yes, by default every minute there is a check to see whether the MTU value has
increased or decreased. You can make the interval between checks short using
the PingInterval option.

> The question concerns the following observation.
> After successful connection everything is working correctly.
> Unfortunately since I am using tunnelling over GPRS media -for some time
> the quality of the connection is degraded.
>
> When it happens I am observing icmp "fragmentation needed" packets sent
> from clients to some http server.
> It looks like the servers ignore this kind of icmp messages (maybe
> because of improper firewall?) and the packets sent to clients are never
> fragmented.
> As the result - for the clients some part of the web becomes inaccessible.

Tinc also tries to clamp the MSS value of TCP connections, but that only works
at the beginning of a TCP connection. If such a connection is kept open for a
long time, and the PMTU changes inbetween, then tinc can only send ICMP
Fragmentation Needed packets. If those are dropped by a firewall, there is not
much tinc can do.

> Manual tunnel down/up fixes the problem immediately since (probably - I
> didn't compare them) new lower MTU is chosen.
>
> I am wondering if it is possible to make MTU renegotiation to be automatic?

It is automatic, what you can change is the time between PMTU probes.