Dashes in node names

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Mon Nov 15 18:41:05 CET 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 03:25:40PM +0100, Daniel Baumann wrote:

> I'am using a script which manages the setup of nodes. This depends on
> zeroconf and so the tinc node name and the hostname must match.
>
> But tinc doesn't allow dashes in node names. Is this really is
> necessary? Dashes in hostnames are not really uncommon.
>
> Is there something which prevents appling such a diff?:

The dash is used as a separator between the node name and "up" and "down". If
one allows the dash in the node name, there will be an ambiguity between a node
called "foo-up" and the script that is run when the node "foo" has become
reachable.

In a script you can use the "tr - _" command to replace dashes with
underscores.