Suggested additions for TINC

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Sun Nov 8 11:12:35 CET 2009

On Sun, Nov 08, 2009 at 02:50:47AM -0500, Michael Adams wrote:

>    1. The UDT library is a BSD-licensed accelerated UDP-based transport.
>    Would tinc be able to use this for UDP-based connections and would the
>    licensing be acceptable?
>
>    http://udt.sourceforge.net/index.html

UDT implements its own congestion and retransmission algorithms, so using this
for VPNs would still give you all the problems decribed on this page:

http://sites.inka.de/~W1011/devel/tcp-tcp.html

If we are at a point where we can work on the transport layer of tinc, I'd
rather implement support for SCTP first.

>    2. I would like to see a 3rd compression protocol added to tinc: one based
>    on the Mahoney compression schemes would be worth investigating (need
>    something fast and uses small RAM on routers).
>
>    http://mattmahoney.net/dc/

I cannot quickly find a comparison between Matt's algorithms and Zlib or LZO
algorithms.  I will gladly accept a patch to support other compressors, but I
personally do not see much value in yet another one.