Problem compiling tinc-1.0.8 on gcc-2.95

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Thu Oct 2 12:49:03 CEST 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 01:26:08PM +0200, Unknown of Borg wrote:

> I found that anonymous structures does not work on gcc-2.95.
> If you guys want to support a bit older platforms I suggest
> fixing it.
>
> You can check out patch I created to fix this issue.
> I just added 2 extra structures to remove anonymous
> structs inside connection_status_t and node_status_t.
>
> Patch is here:
> ftp://borg.uu3.net/pub/unix/tinc/tinc.patch

Thanks for the patch.

Although it would be nice to have tinc running on older platforms, I personally
do not want to support compilers versions that are almost a decade old. In
fact, I would really like to use all the features C99 offers, and get rid of
workarounds for old systems where possible.

Do you have a scenario where it is impossible to use a more recent version of
gcc to compile tinc? If so, would you like to maintain a version of tinc that
can be compiled for that platform? If it's not impossible, perhaps it is better
to work on a howto or a small image of a build system to compile tinc for such
platforms?