wishes

Florian Reitmeir squat at riot.org
Thu Jan 20 21:50:21 CET 2005

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Guus Sliepen wrote:

> > - i have some nodes with a dynamic ip, how does tinc handle this? are there
> > 	keep alive pings?
> Yes it pings.
>
> > - if i want to force a reconnect (for example if an ip changes), i tried
> > 	kill -ALRM
> > 	kill -HUP
> > 	but there were no reconnects, yes the manpage tells it, but a reconnect
> > 	would be nice.
>
> Restarting the tinc daemon will reconnect :) You can also do this in
> /etc/tinc/<netname>/:
> mv hosts x;
> tincd -n <netname> -kHUP;
> mv x hosts;
> tincd -n <netname> -kHUP;
> But why do you want to reconnect if a connection is still working?
i've tested it today, before writing, i have a DSL router which uses pptp. On
my lokal pc here, i installed tinc an setup a ping to an other vpn-host.

When my router reconnects (he also does NAT for me), the router get a new IP
address, and the connection to the VPN is frozen. OpenVPN just detects this
immediately and reconnects.

I my case tinc didn't work until i restartet it, but after restart my ssh-session to
to vpn also was broken -> because the interface was going down.

So what i want, is a "silent" reconnect from tinc to the vpn-server. I hope
its now easier to see the point.

> > - it is very important to me, that the interface does not go down.
> In that case, you can create a persistent tun/tap interface with
> "tunctl" from the User Mode Linux package or with OpenVPN.
ah, thanks. that solves an other problem too, i wondered if its possible for
the tincd to drop his privileges? when i set the tun interface for the user
it should work, or i'm missing something?

> > - when will tinc 2 released? :-)
> When it is ready.
a truly debian answer :-)

> > - is there a bug-tracking system?
> If you use Debian you can use reportbug to file bugs against the tinc
> package, otherwise you'll have to do with this mailing list.
the debian bug-tracking works for me.

--
Dipl.-Inf. Univ. Florian Reitmeir                     http://net.multi24.com/

Josef-Schweinester-Str.1                              Tel: +43 526 266166
6412 St. Georgen / Austria                            Fax: +43 526 266166 -10